Monday, September 24, 2007

The effort to save Gilbert and Russell islands

The end of tonights episode of the war had a sentimental cliffhanger for me. It ended with.."By the time the 3rd infantry made it to Rome they would have had 50,000 casualties, meanwhile on the other side of the world ,Japan had started to invade Northern India and the effort for the allied troops to save Gilbert, Russell,and Elice islands proved to be challenge." Alright I'll stop bastardizing Ken Burns and get on to the real reason this ending had meaning for me. My dad and uncle were named after these islands as my grandfather Frank was stationed near guadalcanal. My other grandfather was also in the east but didn't use it as fodder for naming his children. Here's a map of the Gilbert islands(my father's namesake):

I managed to watch only 30min of this show tonight but it really hooks you to the end each time you sit down. I plan on closing out a sunday to watch the whole thing, clockwork orange style. Only less painful.


*******************change of direction for this post************

I was chatting with pip the other night and I was asking him what he thought of the Frames these days. He said he liked them and Mary and company thought they were the best part of the hideout block party. Meanwhile nick, kaitlin, and brad thought that the frames were bad and Andrew Bird reigned supreme. Being that there's two camps of thought on this matter I was hoping someone would help clear this one up. I for one hand don't think the frames have been playing very well lately. I thoroughly enjoyed Once but the movie may be killing the frames.
**********Change of direction for this post************************

My large sony headphones broke this week and I superglued them twice now and each time they've broke so I moved on to the white-mini headphones that came with a shuffle I got for christmas. I still use my ghetto-non-I-POD mp3 player and it strikes me as strange that I don't haven't upgraded to the shuffle yet. I guess I'm afraid of jumping into the I-phone world, sure its convenient but it may eat away at your imaginative soul. I don't need any more opportunities to endlessly waste time(like right now). Moving onto whats being played in my headphones, I've been really liking menomena lately. Their tribal beat and epic singing really hooked me in, bait, line, and sinker.

1 Comments:

Blogger SES said...

jeff, did you watch "heroes" last night? I missed the first 10 min and thought I might get a recap on your blog after that Sylar post you did.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links