Thursday, February 10, 2005

In a cave in my head

As it was ash wednesday yesterday, noted by all the people I saw walking around campus with gray marks on their foreheads. I couldn't help but notice the incessant need to mark yourself for heaven but I guess thats because I'm a savage. In any case I guess my thoughts carried on into my dreams last night. I was in a service at a church but went back behind the altar to a hallway that turned into just jagged rocks and entered into a cave setting much like Zion(minus the sweat-dripping dread locks flying around headbang style) where people were drinking, smoking,and eating pizza(?). The complexities go on from there as my head gets fuzzy from trying to remember everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger one too many mornings said...

all I have to say is that if there is a heaven and that heaven doesn't have drinking, smoking and pizza, then thats not the heaven I wanna be in. How can someone be eternally happy without pizza?

9:11 AM  
Blogger Will said...

The cave of your mind? Old Socrates over here (actually we encourage Jeff's philosophy)...Mom and Dad, I'd appreciate it if you'd shut your yappers!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I wouldn't call it "marking yourself for heaven." The point is simply to connect to your very short, very small physical existence. From a service I remember, while anointing you, they say "From dust you came and from dust you shall return." I happen to like it, above most other Catholic traditions -- brings you down to Earth in terms of your significance. Regretably I didn't get ashes this year but me and Jesus are still cool. I like the Zion cave dream.

-Pip

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links