Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Lets not derail the train we're all riding, We're already past the PONR

I had sort of an argument on Saturday night about the point of blogs and why people make them. This one girl said there's no point and that people are just whining. She spoke of some trailer park girls in Texas with blogs talking about sleeping with every man in town. She thought it was trashy but I tried to explain to her that it was a new form of media and that we would have never been able to have such an opinion at our fingertips. Also its an easily accessible recording device for train of thought.

Saturday was a life lesson that although ideas can seem amazing and are amazing while they happen, they usually have disastrous results. As was the case on Saturday when we all decided to have mimosas starting at 5pm. Kaitlin got the fever and lost her balance and Jason was awoken all throughout his sleep with alleged "night terrors." I don't know whether its because mimosas are made from extra-dry champaign but they left me in the desert with a dying camel, a canteen with less than a spiders-spit of water, and a mouth that formed together due to parchness for the rest of my slumber that night.

One perk of Saturday night was the taxi ride home. There have been known "crazy" taxis around chicago and somehow I stumbled upon one Saturday night. The car was decked out from head to toe with valentines decorations and there were 2 not 1 candy dishes at our convenience. Right when I got in he popped in a tape of oldies and started singing. I asked him how he was doing and he said, "I woke up today and I'm happy for that." That comment shot me out the side door of the taxi and out of the fantasy floating bubble that I was dwelling in. It occurred to me as it usually does a couple of times of week that some people have to work the grave yard shift on a saturday night to make ends meet. I was at Osco yesterday and the same scene came over me as I watched a clean cut middle thirties man bagging groceries and getting told that he was doing it wrong. Instantly I began to wonder how he ended up here and where he was going with his life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I watched a guy get arrested last night and his car towed, but I still think a mid-thirties man getting yelled at for not knowing how to bag groceries correctly is worse.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links