Tuesday, February 22, 2005

And I've been out to sea for too long...

Losing the will to speak political and don't feel crazy right now to write nonsense. Am I stabilizing at the ripe age of a quarter pounder(1/4 century come june) out of the boozey tobogon slide lifestyle of shampoo banana's wild ride. I've actually cut everything out of my life this week in preparation for interviews from Thursday-Tuesday. In my life I've had a topsy turvy experience with preparing for "the next step" as they so eloquently put in American Pie and I've pysched myself out before(psych psych psych) but I guess that's just human nature to overanalyze. It feels like I'm standing on a boat that just lost its harness to the dock(imagine a slip knot slowly unraveling) and the boat is starting to drift and my bearings are in my heart and my mind is in my head so I've got nothing to worry about right? That wasn't supposed to come off as a question but deciding the next five years of your life through one week can make all of these images align in perfect context. The rushmore quote in the header has begun to make perfect sense to me and I felt it necessary to explain as I so rarely do in this blog, leaving it up to the master decipherers such as Count Vousss and Major D. In any case the line references a section of the movie when Max Fischer is talking to his father about being being out of love for too long and its time for him to come to shore. It feels like I was out to sea for far too long and although I've come to shore, I feel the need to build a house once I'm here and the next week will dictate the construction schedule. My grampa built his own house and some of the other houses in the neighborhood. His story is far greater than mine ever will be so I'll explain:

My Grampa is an immigrant who lost a brother crossing the Italian border from Slovenia(where schneider heritage finds its origin). When he got to the United States he had absolutely nothing. He quickly moved to the midwest, Waukegan to be exact, and became a prizefighter. He was called Waukegan Red due to his red hair and was able to raise enough money to buy a plot of land that he could farm and raise livestock. This is where my father was born although his brothers say they found him underneath a cow as a newborn. That's where my life becomes a faint twinkle.

There you have it. If a time comes in the near future when you think life has rubbed salt in your wounds imagine our grandparents/great grandparents life of hardships and you realize in a few seconds that we're sitting pretty.

1 Comments:

Blogger the homunculus said...

I had to make that big choice about 6 years ago. I chose Ill. I think I chose wisely. Don't be nervous; take that next step boldly. It should comfort you that it's your own judgement and your own mind you're relying on. I mean, you know that you know what you know, right? So step into the ring like you're Waukegan Red.

And you're right, we gots it easy these days. Every time I hear stories from my grandma about her childhood I fudge my undies.
--Tommy

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links