Thursday, October 05, 2006

Third time's not the charm

Exactly 2 years ago I went to vic and saw yo la tengo and was blown away. Exactly 1 year ago I went to the vic and saw yo la tengo and was blown away. So tonight I went to the vic and saw yo la tengo and it was so so(I woke up went downtown and looked for a job). I didn't really like the new ones and I was convinced the last time I saw them was sub-par due to pitchfork but I think it has something to do with the "bobby Conn playing showtunes" feel I get these last two times I've seen them. I really thought Summer Sun was fabulous and the live show for that album left me breathless but apparantly the new album is good Yo La Tengo and the last album was so so according to Churchill's internet report. I don't know I think I heard about 7 seperate conversation during one guitar solo and I don't know I just think it went way too long. I'm all for the crazy psycho jamouts every now and then but 3 times in the row with the same grooving bassline and gyrating spastic guitar slinging. That may have been over the top. A bit too blasphemy to get me into heaven but what the hell. I fell in love with Yo La tengo's harmonys and keyboard parts not the guitar.

Jumping back 8 hours I went and saw this palestinian play the Ud and in between songs talk about having to flee his home during the occupation to live in the woods and eat eggs, wine, and sardines. When he went down to visit his mother he got arrested and treated badly to say the least. He speaks of growing up and falling for a girl while having to live this terrible frightful life. To make matters worse he was christian and the girl that he was interested in was muslim. I enjoyed seeing him play very much and during one song he had us all hold one note that he played over. He was very impassioned in the way he spoke and it made you feel lucky that you didn't live in a war-torn region without a chance for peace as boundary lines rip through a collective holy land. There were parts that had some humor like saying that every palestinian man growing up talks of politics because thats what it means to grow up. He said you could walk down any street and find a hall where men are talking politics. This makes sense, you are protected as a child but once you grow up you have to come face to face with the quagmire you have inherited from the generation before. The last song he played was peaceful and he said it was to relax everyone in the audiance from the gauge of stories he explained and then he said at least he needed to. A great noon lecture, one of many perks of still being on a college campus at the this age in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links