Monday, February 13, 2006

mind-full of the breaks you take

I was hanging out at a recruitment dinner for future students last night which was held at Janet Rowleys house. She's 90 years old discovered the philadelphia translocation for leukemia and still has a lab, students, and papers hot off the press. I ended up chatting with the a faculty member in my program who also teaches Ulysses on the side for kicks. He told me in order to read James Joyce you have to read slowly, out loud, and preferably with a libation in order to understand it. It was strange cause exactly one year ago I was at this recruitment dinner and my head was in a whole different area, a panicked state of pre-interview meltdown. Things were a little different, darling was kicking and the album was near completion, kids were starting to move back into the city from chambana and awful truth of another 4 years with bush were starting to set in.

Wicked was outstanding only Ana Gasteyer isn't in the cast anymore which was a little bit of letdown but the flying monkeys more than made up for it. They had shirts that said "Defy Gravity" so I asked the lady why and she said when I saw it I would know(man you must work here). I bought a popcorn, twizzlers, and a bottle of water for 9 bucks and I thought I had gotten a great deal.I don't know after selling cotton candy for 3 bucks a pop around the kentucky kangdom I feel I must give back once in a while, carnie code. I don't know they could have been selling scat on a stick and there would have been a que around the block. Well worth a friday night out on the town even if the bread was soggy for the sandwhich ie no dinner before and no drinks afterwards. We did watch the rest of the arrested developments that aired on the ever-so-hot friday night slot. I really wanted to space the episodes out a little as I don't want this part of my life to end. Its not that the episodes are particularly hilarious, just the witty play on words has me reeling about 2.5 seconds after the punchline, enough time for a clear "lets see jeff what the hell did that mean, wait for it, oh thats funny, I like jokes" moment.

On saturday I watched blue velvet finally and am deeper in the mind of david lynch than I've ever been. He has a way of chopping of suspense and sprinkling it on your popcorn so that each moment you catch the wrong kernel and boom you have landshade hands over your eyes. Next stop The Elephant man who Graham, my brothers friend and also his sound engineer, told me is definitely a crier. That brings me to the next slot in the night where annie, dan, graham, and I hungout and listened to cat stevens while I tried as usual to finish the rubix cube and everyone else looked agitatingly at me. I managed to turn it into a transformer decepticon on one side and aubobot on the other side cube which created a few awes but that just spawned a conversation about Mask and little figures, cool cars, and that weird place in there playset where they put all there helmets in a circle like the knights of the round table. After this couch sesh we went to a party a couple of blocks away which was 90% Korean and was complete with a fire-blower. The party was lame outside the pyrotechnics and we went home and called it a weekend.

4 Comments:

Blogger kit said...

The T-Rex, gets those undergrads everytime. Sounds like a honey of a weekend. Once your in Grad school theres so many different things to sweat about versus before. Like those rubix cubes called a thesis, I think I have about half a side yellow but the rest is a blur. Totally missed wicked in the lou but did catch joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat a little ago. Just confirms my need to sing!

k.e.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Bishai said...

wait, you worked in kentucky?

9:18 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Looks like we've got some GERMANS! What's on tap for this coming weekend - anything awesome?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh yes. probably the best way to spend 4 days in kentucky...drink, win hundreds at churchill downs, drink, baseball games, lazy rivers, drink, break into the pool late night and through huge planters into the pool, etc etc

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links