Tuesday, April 19, 2005

If you're looking for a sign from God, its here

After a weekend chocked full of improv and lake housing, we were on our ride back home on Sunday and what should I see on a church sign but the message in my header. I'm used to going on long road trips with tales of crazy southern churches with messages like,"If you don't go to church the devil is gonna get you," as well as, "god bless George W. Bush."(similar oh yes). This particular sign in my heading came from none other than my home town. How could this have happened. For one thing, it is the second whitest town in Illinois. For another thing my parents put a No War sign up and it got ripped down. At first I thought, "no-good kids, too much time on your hands." Then I began to realize the scary part, it wasn't kids at all. Its the same people that phoned in death threats to the library in my home town not to play Fahrenheit 9/11.

Getting back to the meaning of my header, I wrote it because it knocked me off my feet. Thats the one thing we have against churchies. The fact that there is no physical evidence for one religion over another is my biggest defense in my remaining athiest. I know there are a lot of stories passed down oraly and transcribed but everyone has their stories. Like the story about the guy who fell asleep in the rain with a sheet of acid on his chest and became a human glass of orange juice nervous to be tipped over. Or the guy who stopped going to church and started hanging out with the kids who like the misfits only to learn that he didn't respect authority as well and wanted to start a speed death metal band and really didn't care about school either or work for that matter and just stole from his parents whenever he needed money and has ended up in rehab only to return for the rest of his life. The part I don't get is did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest. No Verne They just let him in. Oh good story.

2 Comments:

Blogger kit said...

All that pent up rage and churchness sounds like the south. Except people don't keep it a secret. Rage on my toothless friend.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on fire with stand by me lately. bravo.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here
Links